Wednesday, January 11, 2012

DYNASTY

Dan Weingart's new musical project is titled The Great Year and he gave the world his new "Summer EP."  I can only hope that he wants to express an indelible season of his life through the artistic outlet that he knows best - paintin' pictures.  Ironically, he decided to compose music.  

We enter into a room with an atmospheric intro whispering words to us.  It is somewhat reminiscent of a future musical truth (more on that later).  I never heard my grandson sing until he sent me some recordings (preceding this album release) and yes, Weingart will be irked when he discovers that I still refer to him as my "grandson" (Dan is the 3rd leader of my creation known as Pittsburgh Electronic Musicians).  His voice is soothing with just a slight side of haunting.  As odd as that sounds, I think that I may be less attracted to the voice in these pieces if it did not haunt me just a little.  You be the judge of that.  By you, I mean Sarah Slater of course.  

Dan seems to be speaking to someone.  This "someone" is most likely a romantic person.  I must romanticize this!  Sir Daniel WeingarthVader is a cyberpunk violinist lusting after an Aztec princess that ended up in the present day society through the use of forgotten Azteknology.  A train was involved and may have created a love triangle.  He states:  "I didn't have time to call you back."  Really?  AN AZTEC PRINCESS?  STFU!  Stick To Foreign Uvula (after you shut the fuck up).  

At one point in the series, a choral ensemble-type situation covers me.  By me, I quite obviously mean Elizabeth Braddock.  I am writing this blog in a multitude of broken sections.  This work of art takes me to an array of different locations and gives me alternating thoughts of lucidity and acidity.  It is a mesmerizing experience.  From choral walls, to styles reminiscent of The Doors and allusions to newer artists like Washed Out.  The music is honest and attractive.  And you know what?  Dan's voice at the end becomes merely soothing (without that hint of haunting) and I miraculously love it.  Musical resolution-function.  I do believe that is a sentence.  You, musical that resolution-function.  

The Great Year's Summer E.P. was inspiring.  It was heartwarming.  I never wanted it to end.  I speak in cliches because it took my breath away.  I cannot thank Dan enough for forming these compositions.  I paid for this because I do not steal music and because I personally know Dan but I still feel that he did ME an extraordinary favor.  This is the value of art.  This is the value of MUSIC.  It is why I compose.  It is why I live.  It is precisely why I cannot enjoy anything more than giving a friend or a stranger something that brings new love to their lives.  Daniel WeingarthVader, I salute you.  

By the by, I do not know anyone named Sarah Slater and I thank the Demiurge for that...

-Separation Anxiety 

No comments:

Post a Comment