Tuesday, January 31, 2012

THE UNCANNY ELECTRIC-TYPE MAN

Was anyone else scared at the creepy events described in the diaries of that cinnamon island when we were kids?  I suppose this applies to those of us that have been living for 20-30 years.  I was literally uncomfortable with what I was reading.  The music only aided to my raw feelings.  In Electric Type's new E.P., "The Ghost in the TV", these feelings reemerge from my psyche.  How the hell did that kitten give birth to the monster?  Why did other presentations refer to this monster as a genetically engineered creature?  I like to think that the answers to these questions can be found within "The Ghost in the TV."

Of the four tracks, "Ball Lightning" is the piece that strongly stands out to me.  This beautifully orchestrated work is the most reminiscent of my 8 bit childhood.  Who knew that techno could be so edgy and yet so classic?  The sister track to "Ball Lightning" is titled "Foo" and I must admit that I was thoroughly impressed with Joe Sleppy's (Electric Type's alter ego) conceptual design of this artistic product.  Read up about the relationship between foo fighters and ball lightning if you are curious.  

The percussion on these tracks is simply phenomenal.  This is the most engaging percussion that I have heard from Electric Type to date.  His use of instrumentation and sampling is uncanny.  From the traveling guitar-like samples to alien synthesis, this is the supernatural creature of modern technology.  Additionally, these beats make my body move!  Next time I'm at the club Imma be all like "you got anny tv ghost beats"?  And if he/she decline, I will respond with "you and all the other DJs are so god damned much like the same person.  If I ask if you both want a Ded Rat vinyl, you both accept."  

Electric Type is a true diamond amongst modern techno artists.  His music never sounds like what you expect.  It keeps the mind engaged as well as the body when you are doing a dance like Jack Handey's funny cowboy dance (Jack, if you are reading this, how much will it cost me to see this dance in real life?).  You can find "The Ghost in the TV" on iTunes and feel free to visit the official website for more information on Electric Type - http://officialelectrictype.com/

-Remy Drake out

No comments:

Post a Comment