Friday, March 9, 2012

February 11th, 2012 - KEEP RACHIN' PART 1 “Hey, where did you get that statistic?”


This blog will be split into two separate articles that chronicle a weekend of absurd activities. It will be in moderately non-sequential order. On Saturday night, I visited the Crocodile Rock Cafe to see a rock concert and then went to Allentown Symphony Hall to hear classical music. Part one begins at the Allentown Symphony Hall and ends at the same place on the next day (what in the world???) There was a disjunct. Enjoy.

As I entered the hall, I became instantaneously overjoyed. A.S.H. is lovely and circulates an air of beauty throughout my body. The staff and patrons are kind, classy, and educated. Just the way I like em! I said hi to a few friends and made my way to my seat. I like to surprise myself with the program so I only open it up after I arrive. Rachmaninoff, Mozart, Wagner, and Strauss were going to be my companions for the evening.

Simon Mulligan was the soloist for this performance and somehow made me enjoy a Mozart piano concerto (number 21). What a joik! How the frag could he do this to me? Despite years of formal study of classical music, I have always had a hell of a time trying to enjoy old Wolfygang but Simon played his music with such a personality and fervor that I was grippingly entertained. With the lights dimmed, this was dangerous.

These selections were quite fulfilling and I'll be damned if Diane Wittry doesn't have some kind of unique energy to her that feeds a glorious sound to the hall. I think the feminine approach to conducting makes me enormously attracted to these concerts. You might say that emancipation of the feminine intellect is the first step to unleashing the depths of the human mind. To quote Andy Kindler, “I think therefore AM I RIGHT LADIES???”

After this performance, I was informed that Simon Mulligan was going to play some jazz after the Sunday matinee performance of this concert. I wouldn't miss this for the human incarnation of Betsy Braddock (or would I??? Yes, I would). Simon was sleek and sexy when he jazzed up the Rodale Community Room. I was sort of hoping that he would venture into some odd dimensions in his solos but I received some reasonably standard work. It was excellent none the less. When I approached Simon afterwards, I asked him about his compositions and if he ever did anything more eccentric. He seemed indifferent towards the idea of wowing an audience with instances of foreign genius. More importantly, since he was English, I asked him if he liked Depeche Mode. My words were: “Since you're from England, are you part of the 50% of England that likes Depeche Mode or are you part of the 50% that hates Depeche Mode”? His response was: “HEY, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT STATISTIC”? He also confirmed that he did like Depeche Mode. Score!

To be continued...

Tune in next week for an account of the physical manifestations of The Base Five that preceded the events above. Same Orenda time, same Orenda channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment