Wednesday, March 21, 2012

February 11th, 2012 - KEEP RACHIN' PART 2 "Run Into the Shadows"

I previously mentioned that I attended a rock concert before the Allentown Symphony performance on this I do not believe in fateful night.  How did I manage to make time in my schedule for three concerts in one weekend?  It must have been the M.B.A. in me.  At the Crocodile Rock Cafe, I witnessed The Base 5 and also caught a fragment of Momento Mori's set.  

The Base 5 entered and rocked!  Rock rock rock rock rock rock rock.  Best sentence ever.  I noticed that the drummer in particular was a fusion reactor of energy on stage.  I am not sure if I have ever seen a musical personality become this attractive.  Musicians often look bored, pissed off, or simply unsatisfied on stage but Bob Bradford grabbed his sticks and beat his drums like a monkey typing the letter S (good luck understanding that referAnce).  

All of the members exhibited clear talent in the face of danger.  Matt Dragovich played bass with a funky groove.  A friend of mine once said that he hated bass players without a clear understanding of rhythm.  I would venture to say that Dragovich is not easy to despise, plus he has a cool name.  Additionally, Matt Coffman sang some notes that were pretty aight.  His tone was clear and his voice penetrated the wall of guitar so that the audience could create a necessary connexion.  M. Coffy also picked up an axe and informed the audience that he just learned how to play it yesterday.  He was very good for his second day.  

Steve Collins was the man with the master plan of convincing Orenda that this was a good option for a Saturday night.  I had high expectations of his guitar playing.  Collins was a man of his rock.  He integrated several decades of guitar playing into one deceptively standard body of thought.  The notes went down smooth like a Delirium Tremens.  I would probably say that he had soul in his playing but given my nature of beliefs, that would be like saying that he has nothing in his playing.  Come on, who would say that?  

The Base 5 were truly enjoyable but before I forget, let's talk about Momento Mori.  This was an acoustic duo of depressed boys named Jack and Ace.  Audience vibes suggested that they were not exactly favored.  Take a guess as to how I felt about them.  If I conceptualized the audience as a living entity, I would be all like “Slot off, frag face!”  This might end with me going to Poco Chiba but I can dig it.  To conclude, check out The Base 5 if you like Rachin' out and check out Momento Mori if you like mash-ups of Leonard Cohen and mating wombats.  

-Stark in need of the Cyber-Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment