Tuesday, April 3, 2012

SAM & NICK - "Subconscious Integration"

Enjoy.  This is the lone command that Christopher Tucker and I loved to give to citizens of the City of Bridges.  Few could receive it correctly but they all lusted after it.  We would walk for miles, hang out in strange places, and spark conversations that attempted to make people happier.  We would call each other up and say "yo when is the next enjoy day?"  I have no idea what the long-term results were for others but Chris and I enjoyed every minute and if you are reading this, I reflect on these events regularly and miss you dearly from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.  Why was the enjoy concept vital?  Human beings tend to act alike.  Perhaps we were hoping to transmit through [insert future concept here].  Hold that thought.  The title claims that this is about the acoustic duo known as Sam and Nick.  Everyone knows that C.T. and S.O. are CLEARLY electric.  

Sam & Nick are singer/songwriters from Lehigh Valley.  Sam Hoagland sings intensely while Nick Wilson rips up some jive guitar licks.  I could end this here but please, may we continue?  If the universe were ever silent, I would take that silence as a yes.  I will also receive the fabricated concept of silence positively.  S&N have become the tangent.  Speaking of them, I played a show in Allentown, Pennsylvania and they were first on the lineup.  Everyone in the audience loved what they witnessed.  Contact was made after the show and another performance was coming up two weeks later.  

Sam and I had a conversation when I picked up my ticket for the encore.  Need I stress the importance of buying tickets and attending the performances of your friends/local favorites?  Support artists.  Most of them give free music these days, it is the least you can do for their hard work.  Returning to topic, I asked Sam about her views on music and composing.  She emphasized her interest in expressing current and past feelings.  A particular energy and emotion was what she wanted to portray.  I drilled her with questions about how she conceptualizes the process and intent of putting a piece together.  What was I looking for?  It was some sort of exaggerated hope but we accidentally stumbled upon an area that engaged me.  She stated that she believed composition comes out of all types of music in your life, whether you realize it or not and additionally draws from all of your knowledges and memories.  If you know me, you should have guessed that I would have said something off the wall after a pause of thought such as "Let us call this:  Subconscious Integration." [Realization Point] We both decided that we liked the term and continued onward.  This woman could follow my unique conversation style and completely won me over with her intelligence (far too rare of a task in my current community).  By the time I made my escape, Sam extracted my full respect.  I was anxious to re-experience her art.  

A few days later I roll up to some strange joint that purported itself to be a music venue.  I talked to Nick and Sam (see how I switched that up a bit?) briefly, met a few people, demanded some shy hearts, and entered the building.  Before the music, I spoke with the members of Mansions, one of the touring acts at the show.  I bought their album because they were great people and the drawing on the cover gave me maddening pleasure.  A future review of this album is inevitable.  

When the two stars entered the stage, we all gazed intently.  Without hesitation, they beautified the sound space.  It began with my demands.  "Heart Shy" is the track that I had remembered most from the first Sam & Nick performance that I attended.  My ear has a strange reaction to the chorus melody.  It is not exactly a brilliant melody yet it somehow shines into a fist that thinks I'm G. Zimmerdude (too soon?).  There was a cover of "Wagon Wheel" by BD and the OC.  The genre worked fine but I reacted quite indifferently in comparison to their originals.  Replication of feeling is drastically inferior to the pure message of a writer.  The audience loves you the way you are.  You have no need for the music of other composers.  All of Nick's guitar riffs are legit and he does some great backing vocals in the mix of it all.  I am rather fond of his musicianship.  Sam is either angelic or she sold her essence for one hell of a voice (errr that joke was an accident).  Together, these two majestic individuals have the divine ability to touch the audience with sentimentality.  

I caught Nick (with a fragging net!) after the show.  He had "chill rocker" written all over his face.  We talked about his other punk band and "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" by the Ramones.  What a blast from the past!  It took the both of us to fully remember the title of that song.  Nick said he mostly writes musical ideas that "sound good" to him.  I get this response frequently from rockers.  Is this not a watered down presentation of what you think?  Mankind needs to elaborate on this "good" sound.  Then again, Jack Handey does say that "Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself. Basically, it's made up of two separate words — "mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind."          

How does this lengthy article fit together and conclude?  Enjoy.  Sam gave me a CD of their work.  I threw it into the Oliver Queen.  I couldn't get enough of it just like Depeche Mode always said.  I didn't want it to end in much the same way that you do wish this article to end by now.  It made me feel energetic and happy.  I have been living far away from my family and friends for over a year now.  Most of us end up in difficult life situations like this eventually.  Every day that someone or someones can make you truly enjoy your life is a great fucking day.  Practice the Tucker/Orenda command of enjoyment and life will get better for everyone through means of Subconscious Integration.   

-off to Pittsburgh for the weekend...        

Excerpt - Deep Thoughts With Jack Handey, http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment